May 03, 2011

Pee pee in the potty, pee pee in the potty!

Clover turned 2 last November and Miles was due April 5th, so if I was going to have Clover potty trained before Miles came I had a window between November and March...which I missed. I didn't want to even attempt to potty train unless I knew she was ready.

Last Monday, I decided it just needed to happen. My friend Meg (maybe this blog should be called 'Thoughts of Meg' since I talk about her so much!) recommended a 3 day potty training method which worked great for her daughter. It's basically a "cold turkey" method, meaning you throw away all the diapers, go straight to underwear and skip the waste-of-money-pull-ups. The concept is that you and your child need to understand the signs of having to go to the bathroom without wearing a "back up method" like diapers or pull ups as a safety net.

Two weekends before potty training boot camp, my Aunt and Granny came to visit and Clover picked out a bunch of different underwear (tinkerbell, Fancy Nancy - you know, the essentials!) Clover told us all she wasn't ready to wear them yet, but understood that she was going to in 2 weeks.


Day 1 of potty training resulted in 3 accidents and a TON of full on tantrums. She threw a fit every time I made her sit on the potty. BUT, she also had 3 successful pee pee's in the potty and was in awe of herself every time she went!

Day 2 and 3 were much more successful. Only one small accident each day and she only threw a tantrum about sitting on the potty about half the time.

By Day 4, she knew when she had to go potty, would take the initiative and go by herself, no longer threw tantrums over sitting on the potty, and stayed completely dry during nap and bedtime!

She is SO proud of herself and loves to show off her undies!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment