June 04, 2010

I took the plunge...

I've been wanting to try cloth diapers for awhile now (nevermind the fact that Clover was 18 months old when I started) and everything I read said to just dig right in.  I guess, like most things in life, you'll never know til you try.

So, I asked lots of opinions, read several blogs (like this one), forms (Mothering.com is my favorite) and decided that I might like the pocket diapers the best. Why? Because they dry the fastest and are the closest design to disposable.

My first buy was the Tiny Tush Elite One-Size. After using it for a few days, and thinking it was pretty cool, I decided I probably needed another one.  So my 2nd buy was Bum Genius 3.0, which I read is a favorite amongst cloth diaper Mommas.  Even though I read that the snap ones are better than velcro, I still went with the velcro.  Also, (if you are a rule follower don't read this) I wash them normally, with regular detergent, without a 2nd rinse and I lay them out to dry.  I know, I know, the instructions say not to do any of that except lay them out to dry (the one rule I follow).  But honestly, I don't care if they last 10 years. I don't have the money to buy special detergent. I don't have the time to set my washer to another rinse cycle, and frankly I want it to be as easy as possible.

Anyway, after using 2 diapers most days for a couple of weeks, I can honestly say I like them a lot!  They're easy, soft on the little butts, last longer than disposables, don't sag down when they're wet and I'm helping the environment!  My only complaint about the one-size diaper is that there are snaps on the outsides of the diapers (to adjust the sizes) and I think they push up against Clover's leg sometimes. However, they don't leave marks and she doesn't seem to notice. Also, I like the Tiny Tush one better than the Bum Genius 3.0.

Some of my initial fears:

1. Cleaning up after poop! I think it's gross and unsanitary.  I don't want to wash it or touch it.

How I've adapted - I try to put Clover in the cloth diapers when I know she probably won't poo (since she's older, she tends to only do it about once a day). However, she has pooped in them twice and each time I flushed the poo down the toilet (sorry if this is TMI for you!), threw them in the wash with some towels, washed them on hot and added some bleach and then washed them again on cold without bleach.  Yes, they say no bleach, but again, who wants to follow EVERY rule?? I'm using them at least, right?

2. They are expensive and I won't be saving any money.

Here's the breakdown:
2 cloth diapers = $35.90
A box of 140 Pampers Cruisers diapers = $41
Use two a day for a month saves about 60-70 disposable diapers, a MONTH. After 2-3 months, you are already breaking even and saving money! Plus, you don't have to keep buying more, like you do with disposables!

So, my advice, if you've even been entertaining the idea of trying out at least one cloth diaper, go for it! Yes, you might spend $18 on a diaper, but after you break even, each time you use it, you're saving money! In fact, I'm thinking next paycheck, I might get Clover another Tiny Tush diaper!

1 comment:

  1. Have you heard of g-diapers? My good friend Stephanie loves them and see is a liked-minded mom like us :) Didn't know if they were mentioned in your research. After reading this, I want to talk to you more and maybe take a stab at it for Landon.

    ReplyDelete