February 26, 2010

Hang up and drive!

Most of us know the dangers of using our cell phone while driving, yet a lot of us still continue to do it. Myself included. I justify it by saying that I know where the letters on the phone are without looking, or that I only use it at red lights... Well, I'll be honest - I'm lying. I text and drive, talk and drive, even look at facebook and drive. Yes, I'm careful, but not careful enough. It's kind-of like sex, the safest protection is abstinence. I am taking the "hang up and drive challenge" and am encouraging others to do so too!

There was an interesting study that asked, "Is having a cell phone pressed to your ear while behind the wheel the equivalent of driving while intoxicated?" The study found that the answer was YES. Isn't that scary? Another article states "there are 270 million cell phone users in the U.S. and 80 percent of them talk on the phone while driving."

Here is a very graphic, but real, video of what can happen when you text and drive.

Take the challenge with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment