March 04, 2010

2010 MS Walk

I still remember the exact moment my Mom told us that she was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, or MS.  I was in 6th grade and my brother was in 3rd.  The way she explained it to us (so that we could try to understand at that age) was that when you have MS you can get little "sores" that could grow on your spine and sometimes your brain.  She said that if they appeared on your brain then you could possible end up in a wheel chair because you can't walk.  I cried, my brother said "cool".  Not because he really thought it was cool, but because that's how we deal with hard things sometimes - we laugh.  You may not have known, until now, that my Mom has MS.  That's because you wouldn't know unless someone told you.  I can honestly say that my Mom is one of the strongest people I know.  In our family, it's called "being like Grandma Alman", which means you take things as they come and deal with them in a practical manner.  It's life.  It doesn't have to be an emotional roller coaster.  I'm the complete opposite though.  I cry at the Sarah McLachlan dog commercials.

I now know the real definition of MS.  Multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disease that affects the brain and spinal cord (central nervous system).  The number of people living with multiple sclerosis increases every hour of every day. This astonishing rate is not going to slow down, let alone stop, until we've found a cure. Research has made some incredible advances recently, but the world can still only offer disease management drugs and therapies to the 400,000 people living with MS in America.

Every hour of every day, someone is newly diagnosed with the devastating disease known as Multiple Sclerosis. I believe that we can do something about MS. I believe that we can find a cure and that's why I have registered to be a part of Walk MS. I want to do something about MS now and I would like for you to support my fundraising efforts with a tax-deductible donation. Any amount, great or small, helps to make an immediate difference in the lives of people affected by MS.

Click on any of the below links to donate or to join us!!
Team Lucky Charms
My personal page

Join our team and walk with us:

DATE: Saturday, May 8, 2010

START TIME:  10:00a.m.

LOCATION: Marietta Square

ROUTE DISTANCE: 3 miles

Event Web site

No comments:

Post a Comment