February 22, 2010

Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can

For lack of a better blog topic, I thought I might share some of my “ditsy” moments because if you can’t laugh at yourself, then what’s the point?

“Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can.” Elsa Maxwell

One weekend home, when I was in college, my Mom and I decided to order pizza from Mellow Mushroom for dinner. I went to go pick it up. Before I went inside, I was trying to decide what I needed to bring in, and decided just to bring my wallet. I figured it would be okay to leave my cell phone in the car because I would only be inside for a few minutes (and the chance that I would come back to find 10 missed calls was slim). So, I locked the car and went inside. When I got back to the car with our pizza, and tried to unlock the door, I was confused by why the key wasn’t turning in the lock. Then, I realized the car was unlocked. So I shrugged it off and got in the car. I put the pizza on the passenger seat and went to see how many missed calls I had. I couldn’t find my cell phone. I decided that I must have actually brought it inside with me (even though I knew I left it in the car) and went to see if I left it in the restaurant. Of course it wasn’t in there. On the way back out to the car (and feeling a little bit like I was on a hidden camera show) I started to realize that there were two green Honda’s parked next to each other… I then realized there was a man walking out behind me…As we neared the cars, he went towards the car I thought was mine and I became aware that mine was actually the one next to his! The worst part was my pizza was still inside his car! I slowly and awkwardly said to the man “I’m really sorry, but I thought your car was mine, and my pizza is in your car” Personally, I would have laughed if someone said that to me, but nope, without a word, he opened the door, let me get my pizza out, then got in and drove away.

Another time, my brother and I were driving around and we saw a “SALE” sign on a house. To which I exclaimed (in my best Grandma Alman, are you stupid voice?) “How can a house be ON SALE?” Then I realized what I said. I was imagining a sale like in a store; 50% off.

Last New Years Eve, while Dustin and I were watching Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve, I turned to Dustin with as much attitude as I could muster and said “What is wrong with that guy??” thinking he was really drunk or something. Dustin looked at me like I was stupid and said “he had a stroke.” Wow, I’m a jerk. Honestly though, I really didn’t know it was Dick Clark and I really didn’t know he had a stroke. I just thought it was some drunk guy counting down to the New Year and couldn’t figure out how that was appropriate for tv!

What are your embarrassing, ditsy moments?

No comments:

Post a Comment