January 02, 2010

Touched by a blog

As my napping child lay snoring in the bed, I decided to “take some of my nuts out of my basket”, as my Mom would say. The nuts represent those nagging things we need to do, but put off for one reason or another. Eventually they build up in our “basket” and weigh us down. When you take a nut out of the basket, the weight lifts a little bit. So, I decided to take some nuts out of my basket this morning. One of my “nuts” was to get the Marietta Playgroup going again. I researched a few fun places we could take the kids in Atlanta and then went on our Facebook page to find some more local “Mom” friends to add to our group. I ran across a note from one such friend, which led me to her blog: http://thestanleyclan.blogspot.com. While reading her story about a family they were helping, I felt a tug at my heart that I have not felt in a long time. I felt like God was leading me somewhere I’ve wanted to go for so long.

For those of you who know me on a personal level, you know that I have always been sort of a dreamer. I’ve never been able to choose one thing I want to do with my life, and stick with it. Growing up, I wanted to be an artist, a singer, an actor, a dancer – then through college, I majored in interior design, drawing and painting, criminal justice, business, and then finally received a bachelor’s degree in Communications with a concentration in PR. With the exception of a few party planning opportunities, I have yet to actually use my degree. Shortly after I graduated, I became a Momma. THIS is the one thing I have truly been sure about. The one “job” I wouldn’t trade with any other. The one thing I KNOW I was meant to do. However, I still have so many things I am passionate about. Most of all, I love to create things and help others. My creative outlets are usually fulfilled on a daily basis, but my need to help others is not. When I came across that blog I felt that fire start to burn in my heart. The passion start to push through and whisper “this”, “this is it”, “this is what you are looking for”… THIS is the missing piece – helping others – doing God’s work.

My 3 passions – my family and my daughter, creating things, and helping others. So far, I have been able to fulfill the first two. Now I know what else God has planned for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment